We all hear about the health benefits of swimming. Makes us fitter and stronger, helps us lose/maintain our weight and provides a host of benefits. Here is a list of benefits, I bet there is at least one on the list you did not know.
- Dementia: A twelve-week study showed that swimming improved memory and mood in dementia patients. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24521103
- Swimming can make you a better runner. A study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports showed swimming can increase your aerobic capacity and reduce respiratory fatigue in runners.
- Swimmers live longer. A study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine showed swimming reduced the risk of all-causes of mortality by 28% (Running did not reduce risk)
- Swimming aids exercise induced asthma. A study published in Science Daily indicates that the high-humidity in pools eases asthmas symptoms.
- This one is for all you cold water haters: Cold water increases your metabolism and you burn more calories per workout then in water that is pleasantly warm when you climb in.
- Here is a reason to stop swimming just free. Of the four major competitive strokes swimming freestyle and backstroke burn the least calories. You might have guessed that butterfly comes in first, but the surprise to many is that breaststroke comes in second.
If you didn’t have enough reasons to swim now you have a few more. Join the conversation, add your favorite benefits of swimming below.